Yoga & the Social Media Circle of Life


Social Media is a very interesting medium to me. Growing up we just had regular telephones, mail and face to face social gathering to keep you in touch, in tuned and involved. Today, you never ever have to see or hear a person if you don’t want to. Or if you do, you don’t ever have to come in physical contact with the people, yet know everything about them.

So for me, I didn’t know if I liked social media.  I want to see, touch, feel and smell people (hope they smell good). I need physical interaction, as I spend enough time alone writing, planning, art or whatever I feel I need to be completely in sync with.

I felt like social media was more of barrier rather than a connector for me. Sure there is online dating, but that’s not my speed. While you can Skype, I like to see my people face to face. And there’s Facebook where most people are voyeurs into other people’s life, I’d rather talk to you on the phone to find out what’s happening with you. 

My perception of social media has changed from one small event that took place and made my yoga program a success.

Social Event: Being new to the Phoenix Metropolitan area, I decided I would go on a food tour. I could hang out with some new people for a few hours. If I made a connection with one or none past the social event, it was a way to have some physical interaction.

Connection: I overheard a conversation had by a young lady, Jordan Johnson, regarding her social media expertise. For some reason I knew in that exact moment that conversation was meant for me, so I asked for her card. Jordan is also the daughter of the owner of the first restaurant on the food tour, Squash Blossom.

I called Jordan regarding web design and social media assistance for my business and upcoming yoga program I was introducing at a yoga studio. However, by the time we met, the yoga studio unfortunately had to close. No studio to host my yoga program, but I believe that one should always keep moving forward with the plan because you never know what’s around the corner. So I met with Jordan anyway.

Well the meeting was just the thing around the corner. Not only did the beginnings of a web design & social media assistance take place, but a space to host my yoga program was created. That’s right my program would be delayed a month, but had a new home, Squash Blossom.

Now I had to find an audience. I was going to use the yoga studio’s members as the people I marketed the program to. No one else, well the social media circle of life had other plans.

After much effort of face to face passing out flyers, setting flyers in businesses, I turned to social media since I hadn’t gotten any face to face responses. I signed up for Meetup.com, which I got registrants from. But it was a connection made on Twitter that created the most unusual and interesting relationship for me and my yoga program.

Social Media: Anel Arriola decided she would take a break from Facebook’s social media scene. She didn’t feel like she was utilizing and connecting with people the way she wanted. So Anel turned to Twitter to see if she would have better luck there.

A resident of downtown Phoenix, she became a follower of Squash Blossom.  Unaware of my social media actions, I somehow followed Anel on Twitter. She looked more into my program and thought it would be a great fit for achieving the goals and dreams she has in her life.

Having been away from Facebook for over a month, she got back on and connected with her friend that she hadn’t seen in two years. While they had not seen each other, Facebook had been their way of keeping in touch. But since Anel had been gone for so long, the friends decided to meet in person.

During their face to face meeting, Anel told her friend of the program she had planned to register for. The friend thought it would be fitting for her life and decided that it would be great for her boyfriend to attend as well. So they all signed up and the program began.

Yoga: While in a yoga class, in which we were supposed to be practicing yoga, somehow it took a turn and we decided to talk about other aspects of yoga, not just practicing asanas (poses). Our conversation revealed the synchronicity of the universe and how it assist you in fulfilling your goals, dreams and desires if you allow it. We went on to discuss how we are each a universe of our own and we each affect one another’s universe by drawing people, places or things to support our goals and dreams.

I shared with them my story of how I came to Squash Blossom. And my belief that I had drawn this place into my universe to support me in allowing my yoga program to be introduced to other people to benefit from. Anel saw the connection of how I also drew her into my universe and told the above mentioned story.
Needless to say, I was amazed at this social media circle of life. This made me a believer that social media was a great tool to connect people face to face, a capability I didn’t see before. I thought it was just one more way to disconnect. 

Social Media, like yoga is a tool meant to unit and bring together. To have a oneness, holistic approach to living. There was a lesson taught for me that social media is meant to bring us together in every aspect of our life.

Liv your truth!

1 comment:

albina N muro said...

An infographic reveals how the film industry is using social media and viral marketing to compensate for declining ticket sales. get instagram followers fast free